Thursday, June 18, 2009

An Easy Job

Over the years I have had many people ask me if it's hard to make bears. I have always replied with the same response; nothing is hard if you know how to do it. That being said, there are also people along the way who have thought that I have an "easy" job. Making bears is definitely not an easy job.

People who make sweet little faces and furry limbs for any length of time suffer the consequences. Common ailments among bear artists are eye strain, migraines, insomnia, carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis, bone spurs, asthma, a whole host of muscle and joint issues, and even fibromyalgia. I have been inflicted with everything on the list except the last one.

A little over a week ago I cut out a bear. Thanks to my last ad in Teddy Bear & Friends nearly everything I had sold. So I need to replenish my stock before the next ad comes out. The next morning I intended to jump out of bed and make the bear I had cut out. I woke up with a kink in my neck. I have chronic neck issues, but usually it will crack and work itself out within 24 hours at the most.

Three days later, I couldn't even move my neck to the left, I had shooting pains in the back of my skull so severe I didn't want to yawn, cough or sneeze, pains in my jaw, teeth, collar bone and shoulder. I couldn't get to sleep without the aid of Tylenol PM. Still it wouldn't crack.

My doctor is highly against chiropractic care, but yesterday I hurt so badly doing nothing more than just sitting, and I was beyond the point of caring what his opinion was and got the yellow pages. After an hour's worth of acupressure, acupuncture, muscle stretching and one seriously good crack I am a little sore but I can move again.

This was the first time I had ever had acupuncture. I am not a big fan of needles but I read a few years ago why it works, so I gave him the go ahead to do it. I wish I had known years before why it works. I would have done it both to try to get pregnant and also after my shoulder surgery to speed up the healing process.

If you don't know why it works, I will tell you, it's a pretty simple concept. The needles applied barely under you skin stimulate your nerve endings bringing increased blood flow to that area. Increased blood flow always makes things heal faster and function better.

I think western medicine is very good, and it heals a great many people. However I don't think it's the only answer in every case. I am not really sure why so many doctors are against chiropractic care. I would rather be manipulated back into place than take a muscle relaxant.

I am going back for another session tomorrow, so hopefully I will have some new bears to share with the world very soon.

While it's certainly possible to love your job like I do, and it may not seem hard since I know my craft...I don't think any job that you put your heart and soul (and body) into is easy. If it was I am not sure it would be a job worth doing.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Amen sistah!! Bear making is hard, but it sure is nice to have a passion for your job! Glad to hear you're feeling better. I have had to visit chiropractors during 3 of my 4 pregnancies because of back pain. Like you, I don't see why some people are against them. All I know is that it's the only thing that helped me and there's no sense sitting around hurting when there is a relief waiting at the chiropractors office!

julietk said...

Glad the Chiropractor helped, I know what it's like to be in pain. looking forward to seeing your new bears. Juliet

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map