Monday, February 8, 2010

Old Habits Are Hard To Break

Having an interesting idea doesn't always guarantee good results. In my last post I told you I was going to try changing things up a bit from my daily routine. I decided if I wanted to see the world from a new perspective I should literally wake up with a different view on it. With that in mind I decided to do something I have never done in the entire decade I have lived in this house. I slept on R's side of the bed.

This seemed to perplex the cats, who are used to sleeping on his side of the bed. Cats are creatures of habit as well as humans and they don't feel a need to try to change that rut they may be in. Gypsy kept pawing at me and walking to the other side of the bed as if she was trying to tell me I was in the wrong spot. Poor Basil simply didn't know what to do with himself. He couldn't get comfortable anywhere else, and Rizzo hopped on the bed, assessed the situation and simply left until things righted themselves.

Maybe I should have taken a cue from how unsettled they were, but I decided to go forth with my experiment. It took me a while to fall asleep, but I finally did. I kept waking up from disturbing dreams. As a result I slept poorly. I finally got up and let the dogs out, took a shower and laid back down on my side of the bed to warm up. Many hours of blissful sleep later I woke up.

I had to immediately start cooking soup that had to cook for a number of hours. I had decided to make it the day before and I knew R was looking forward to it. I have never gotten up and started cooking before my coffee, so that was changing it up too, despite not being planned.

It also made me crabby, and the soup turned out poorly. I don't think it was anything I did, it just wasn't a good recipe. Despite all the spices it called for, it was oddly bland.

The next few days I decided to continue on with the experiment in small doses. I tried doing this and that a bit differently.

I would like to tell you it was all life changing and that I had a whole new outlook...maybe even an epiphany. But I didn't. What I learned is that we fall into our little routines because they are comforting. They steady the reins and stay the path throughout the course of our day. Maybe that's not so bad afterall. Maybe life throws enough curve balls at us every day, that we need our little routines so we don't feel entirely off kilter.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kelly - I know exactly what you mean about the natural and comforting way our routines fall into place. I try to change some things once in a while too, and somehow they don't feel right..... well, it's good that you are now more content in your ways.

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

It was my husband's idea to switch bedsides several years ago, and I was resistant, at first, but I adjusted. We switch sides with the onset of winter (so I am closer to the heat source and he is not), and the onset of summer (so he is under the ceiling fan and I am not). It discombobbles our cats not a bit, but our two dogs pace from one bedside to the other for a few nights until they settle in.

Southern Bears said...

I am forced to be a creature of habit. My entire life is ruled by Jemima, my kitty and she absolutely hates change and I love her, so .... no trauma for Jemima.

Pat xx

Amanda said...

We have a subway every monday, sub of the day, chicken tikka. Hubby says the staff just serve him, don't ask, routine! I tell you now, I don't half enjoy that sub.LOL Hurray for good routine, something to look forward to that you know works....

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map