Friday, September 12, 2008

Just A Little Slice Out Of Life On A Rainy Night

It's been raining buckets in my little corner of Colorado today. We get that every time there is a hurricane in Texas. I feel bad for the people who get hit with these storms down there. But today I want to tell you about a person here.

Every September we have a big craft show here at Rock Ledge Ranch. I like to go to it, it's usually a nice afternoon out and a way to kind of cap off summer. So last night I wanted to run to the drive through at the bank and get some cash so I could get in. It was raining so hard that I put it off until almost 2 am. When I finally decides to go, I noticed something across the drive from the bank at the bagel place. Under the light I saw a wagon and a pile of torn blue tarp that I could only surmise housed a human being. I couldn't see them though.

I went through the drive through and looked at this huddle for a moment. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to sleep under a tarp on the cold cement on a night like that. So I went to the Conoco and got the biggest cup of hot coffee I could find along with a sandwich, muffin and a banana.

I went back and walked up to them. I know some of you will be thinking right about now that was a foolish and dangerous thing to do. But I figured that people simply up to no good and/or scammers wouldn't be out sleeping in this kind of rain. When he pulled back the tarp he reminded me vaguely of a younger version of Santa Claus.

He might have been 35 or 55, I don't know it was hard to tell. I do know he didn't look like a drug addict or a drunk. He just looked like a very tired man down on his luck. He was really appreciative of the coffee and food and he thanked me.

When I drove home I felt really bad for him. I packed up a quilt, my favorite hoodie because it's big and comfy and thick, a fleece pullover, a couple books and some extra garbage bags to keep his stuff dry. He seemed surprised I came back, and I asked him if there was anyone I could call for him. He said he was traveling to Pueblo. It's only 35 miles away but being all alone, I was afraid to ask him to get into my car, or else I would have given him a ride. Even though I think he was harmless I couldn't be sure.

I have been laying in bed thinking about this man and trying not to cry. I wished I could have really done something to properly help him out. I hope he is alright. I hope he makes it to Pueblo safely. I am not the sort of person who asks for prayers from people online too much even though I believe in God and pray for people myself. But today I am going to ask.

I don't know what brought him to his current circumstances, but I do know that any of us could end up the same way with a simple twist of fate in the wrong direction. So I ask you, pray for this man...pray for everyone in the same circumstances. Maybe include a little prayer for all the people in the path of hurricane Ike. Thank God that you're warm and safe and dry and not sleeping on the pavement in the rain. I just hope he is ok...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map