Thursday, October 30, 2008

Neverending

Yesterday was not a good day. I went out to get new glasses which cost a fortune because I suddenly need bifocals. So I was feeling old and broke. On the way home a teenager in a car behind me decided to take his turn when it wasn't and nearly managed to get me rear ended in my avoidance of side swiping him. While I considered myself very lucky I wasn't hit, I was pretty shook up over that close call! When I got home I discovered I had lost my blue tooth. I never lose anything, so that was pretty frustrating. Luckily I found it on the back seat floor of my car. It must have fallen out of my purse and slid back there. While I was in the car I decided to throw a few things away, and instead I threw my keys in the trash. It's a big heavy ring so naturally they fell to the bottom and I had to dig them out. (Ew!) Then I was working on something that needed to be hot glued. Anyone who knows me very well knows I have a huge aversion to glue, but some projects just simply require it. I have waist length hair and managed to hot glue my hair to what I was working on.

I have also been a bit under the weather since returning from taking care of my Mother-in-law, because I was running out from a very warm building into frigid air about 20 times a day. I had bought a box of Booberry cereal that I found at Target and was feeling nostalgic over because I loved it as a kid. I had a bowl a couple hours before bed. So after I went to bed I dozed off and woke up about 45 minutes later to discover I needed to run to the powder room and ralph my guts out. It was so violent that I broke a blood vessel in my eye and pulled a muscle in front of my ear. (Sorry I know that's not a pretty visual.) But it was the perfectly rotten ending to a perfectly rotten day.

I woke up this morning feeling pretty confident that today would be better. I went through the usual round of websites and things I need to keep up with while I drank my coffee. Suddenly my usual optimistic enthusiasm has just plummeted. Trying to get a business going on the internet is exhausting. The self promotion is neverending and I am weary of it. Etsy in particular is frustating me. I have promoted and promoted and I have had 6 sales since I opened my shop in June. Not a single one of those has been a bear. There are so many people on Etsy and it's easy to get lost in the mix. It seems as if there are a lot of the same people showing up over and over on the front page, and while I think that's great for them...I wish people would mix it up a bit. They have holiday gift guides and not a single teddy bear shows up in any of them. Teddy bears are a great holiday gift, in fact they are one of the classic Christmas gifts.

So I am sitting here and I don't know what to do to generate interest. I post on my blog, which I have come to like doing. I post on Twitter occasionally which I am not quite so on board with because it makes me feel like I have tourettes of the fingers the way things are just sort of blurted out randomly. I post in the forums at Etsy, I post my work on flickr and plumdrop. I have created Mohair Divas, I post on the forums on Lollishops, I have been newly modded on Toy Collector, and of course I have my website...and I am just EXHAUSTED! I miss the old days where I made a bunch of bears, packed them up, traveled to a show and came home with a couple thousand dollars. Traveling might have seemed like work at the time but it was nothing compared to this.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really love to hear them. My Mother always wanted me to be an accountant, after almost three decades of running a successful business in the three dimentional world, I am starting to think she may have been right!

1 comment:

Bev said...

having BEEN an accountant, I can tell you, it's no picnic either

But I do share your frustration with being "invisable" on Etsy -- I've been on it for for just over a year and have sold exactly ONE piece -- in an exchange on Alchemy

I see the stores of folks that have all these sales and I'd sure like to know how they do it!!

I also agree that while traveling to shows can be hard, there was something rewarding about actually talking to people and putting a bear in their hands

So, maybe we should go have a cup of coffee together and share some ideas -- or just generally share the woes and help each other feel better

(and I do know the "feeling poor" thing too -- being self employed means self insured, so I can't get sick for another 8 years -- until I'm medicare eligible -- if it's still around by then!!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map