Monday, August 4, 2008

A Different Point Of View


I have to admit, I have always been a purist when it comes to art. I like very traditional things. I have never ever been interested by modern art. It's not that I don't appreciate the work that went into it...nor do I just "not get it." It's simply a case of it not appealing to me aesthetically. All too often it seems pointless and pretentious to me.

But as I get older, I think I might be loosening up a bit. Or maybe you just look upon the world with a certain sardonic wit that you didn't have when you were younger. They say life is a funny thing, so maybe that can be taken literally?

While I don't think I am ever going to be a Picasso fan, I have discovered a modern artist with a sense of whimsy that does appeal to me. I don't know how many of you have ever heard of Jeff Koons. But if you have, you know he has a variety of work styles. The one that appeals to me are his huge metal balloon animals. Every time I see a picture of one it makes me smile. I suppose to some people it wouldn't be considered art, and to others it would seem pointless and pretentious. But to me it holds an innocent simplistic charm that we seem to have all but lost touch with in our society...plus they are just really big shiny objects. Who doesn't love that!

I seem to be having an internal struggle with my own work. I still love the very traditional style bear. But these more modern approaches are appealing to me more and more to the point where I want to try something like that. Maybe it really is time for a different point of view?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map