Friday, July 31, 2009

A Girl Day

About ten years ago I had a nice handful of female friends who lived here in the same town that I do. But sadly over the course of the next few years one passed away, two moved, one took to the task of raising her grand baby on top of an already large and demanding family and literally had no time for anything or anyone anymore, one took a job that didn't allow for much time for anyone but her husband...and barely even him, and one found a renewed romance and passion for her husband through a new hobby that consumes all their time. So one day I woke up and realized I had no local friends.

I still have quite a few friends, but the closest lives an hour and a half away. When you work at home alone and have no children to meet other parents, it's really difficult to meet people. I have often heard the same thing from both strangers and my other friends who live far away alike. I am pretty sure there are a lot of adults in this same boat. If the thought wasn't so scary as to who would respond I swear I would make a website dedicated to getting people together to be pals.

Day before yesterday my friend who does only live an hour and a half away called and said she was house sitting about 45 minutes away and asked if I would like to meet her for lunch and shopping. I nearly jumped at the chance, I hadn't had a "girl day" in so long.

I have to tell you, we had SO much fun yesterday. She and I have been friends for about 25 years and we never find ourselves at a loss for things to talk about. In fact at one point we laughed until we cried over coffee.

We started out by having a wonderful lunch at The Old Stone Church in Castle Rock. It's a restaurant that actually used to be a church and was built in 1888. They have an amazing and unique menu, and the food was excellent.

Then we decided to make a run up to Denver for coffee and to visit some shops that are really fun, and ended up spending more than we should have. We returned to Castle Rock and went to one of the most incredible antique shops I have ever seen. We came out with even more treasures.

As I was driving home I thought about how much I miss having girl days. While I have no issue with going places and doing things alone, or waiting for R on the weekends, I wish I didn't always have to. I have no idea how to meet people anymore. People constantly talk to me when I am out in public, but it always seems as if it's in passing even when they share intimate details of their lives. Maybe I should try to further those conversations into something...I just don't know. I am not sure if I am supposed to? I think it's like dating. When you haven't had to date in a few decades you don't know what the unspoken rules would be anymore.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map