Saturday, July 18, 2009

James Rollins Made My Day!

Don't you love it when you find an author whose work you really like. Last year on one of my many trips to Barnes & Noble I was perusing the aisles looking for something new. I had finished all of Steve Alten's books and wanted something else exciting to read. A paperback jumped out at me, it was called "Map Of Bones." The cover was right up my alley, and inspired me to pick it up.

When I read what the book was about it certainly sounded intriguing. I noticed some of his other titles and started reading the back covers of them all. I left the store with three of his books. I read "Subterranean" first. It was fun and exciting and a little silly. Next I read "Map Of Bones" and liked it even better. I read four more of his books and had three more waiting to be read. He tends to use topics in his books that I am familiar with, which makes them all the more enjoyable. I love history, science and theology and intermingling those are common themes for him. Even R read a couple and he isn't a big reader. He wants to read the rest though.

A while back I was again in Barnes & Noble to get the latest installment from Steve Alten, when I saw his latest book had also been released; "The Doomsday Key." I never buy hardback books, but since I love both authors I splurged and got them both. I read Steve's book first since I had been waiting so long for it. Then I read "The Black Order" from James Rollins. I think I liked that one the best. I am no stranger to quantum theory, die glocke and most of the other things he used in the plot.

This morning I started reading "The Doomsday Key." I only read a little and thought I should go to bed. I flipped to the back of the book though to see if there might be an excerpt from his next book. Instead I found a section telling what was real in the book and what isn't. I didn't want to read it however, because I didn't want to know what happens. I am not one of those people who flips to the ending, I like to wait til I get there.

The very last line caught my eye however...it said something about "go buy Kowalski a bear, he earned it." Right above that it said that Sixpenny Bears in Hawkshead is a real place that only sells teddy bears.

Now I have no idea who Kowalski is yet, or why there is a teddy bear shop in this type of book...but I can't wait to find out. How exciting is it that an author I like so well has included a reference to a teddy bear shop in his work! It's certainly not a common thing to see in a novel, and helps me identify even more with his work. As a bear artist, that thought makes me very happy...and it made my day!

(On a side note, going back to a post I made last week about the possibility of writing a book of my own...I outlined two possible options for stories. They are characters and plots I have had in my head for years, and finally fleshed them out a bit and set them to font. I will keep you updated.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map