Monday, March 2, 2009

The Dentist

***If you're squeamish about the dentist you may not want to read this***

I just got home from the dentist. I was supposed to go Thursday but I was so stuffed up from my allergies that if he had stuck his hands in my mouth I would have suffocated since I couldn't breathe through my nose. I have a real bad allergy to pine pollen, and since I live in Colorado that tends to be something of an issue. Especially with the onset of Spring, when it warms up like it has been lately.

The visit was painless. Apparently I don't have a problem, and my tooth is getting sore because I have a little space in my gum where junk catches and irritates it. I also have noticed lately that I have receding gums on my upper two corner teeth. I am not sure what they are called but I have always referred to them as my vampire fangs. I was sure he was going to tell me I have some sort of heinous gum disease, but I don't, I guess I just brush my teeth too hard from what he said.

He recommended a periodontist to see about getting gum grafts. Who knew they did that! If they can do it, I am going to have it done though, I would like to keep my teeth. I have one crown and I hate it with a passion. I have issues with anything fake in or on my body, other than eyelashes and earrings. I can't even imagine having a replacement joint or a plate in my head...or breast implants. *Shudders*

I have a weird issue with the dentist, but unlike most people I have never had any fear of going. When I got the crown I had to have a root canal first and it didn't even phase me when they told me. My only problem is that Novocain doesn't do anything at all to me. I am lucky that the dentist I have now has encountered two other people with the same issue, he offers sleep dentistry and that's the only way I can get through it. I still kept waking up during the procedure.

Most dentists I have had in the past refused to believe me. They think it's a fear thing and they have to give it a try. When I had to have fillings, they started to drill, I started to scream and they got mad. I had one over zealous character once that gave me ten shots before R stepped in and said that's enough now, it's not going to work. I finally had to suck it up and sit there and grin and bear it through the pain until they got it done. It doesn't bother me to get shots in my gums. My arm is a different story, but I think that goes back to being weirded out by foreign objects in my body, and having a healthy dose of terror about doctors. I have had to have two serious surgeries and three minor ones, each time I was a bundle of nerves before hand. But when I had my wisdom teeth out, I was calm as could be.

This gum graft thing sounds pretty gruesome, but even that doesn't freak me out too bad. Maybe it's because I know your mouth and eyes heal faster than any other parts of your body. Or maybe it's just because I am weird. *giggles* Either way, today was no big deal and I was glad I didn't have a cavity. I am going back on the 11th to get them cleaned. Fortunately I have been blessed with really strong teeth, hair and nails so I haven't had too many problems and I don't have to go very often.

I went to bed late, and only got about two hours of sleep because I had too much coffee, so I guess I will go have a nap.

2 comments:

Mia Sophia said...

Yay for no cavities! Gum grafts are not fun, but they heal quick. I know a 7 year old who had to have a couple and he survived. You can do it!

It' an Evolution said...

I can't stand the dentist...even though my dentist is my neighbor and good friend!!!
I haven't been in a couple of years and she is trying to figure out how to get me in...she said zanex(sp?)works wonders for babies like me :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map