Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dr. Basil


Yesterday was a little rough. I stayed in bed most of the day, and I had no energy to make myself some soup. So I didn't eat anything until R came home. He made homemade cheese soup, which is so good because it has a bunch of vegetables in it that are boiled then blended and put in. So it's still very smooth, but it has nutritious value. After I ate I felt a lot better. I still feel like I have been punched in the mouth though, and I have an awful lot of swelling along my jaw. I actually do know how that feels, because many many years ago I worked as a cocktail waitress and one night a drunk and belligerent customer who didn't want to take a taxi home actually did punch me in the mouth.

However, while R was at work I was in good hands...or should I say paws. Buster was on his best behavior for once, and Jazzy came to stand on her stubby little hind legs and peer at me with those keen dark brown Westie eyes as if she was checking on me and wondering why I wasn't getting up.

Rizzo came and laid by me and purred, and Gypsy was never more than two feet away all day. But it is Basil who always takes the best care of me. He is the very special little guy I posted about last year who loves Christmas and smiles like a Cheshire cat. The post is called A Christmas Tail if you missed it and wanted to read it.

I don't really believe in reincarnation, but if there is such a thing, I am convinced Basil was a doctor in a previous life. After I came from home from my hospital stay from my hysterectomy he would come in to the bedroom and do the oddest thing every hour to two hours. He would lean over and stick his nose under my nose without touching me, then a couple seconds later he would lay his head on my chest for a few seconds. Then he would go back to laying beside me. It took me a while to figure out he was checking my breathing and heartbeat.

Yesterday he came and sat on my chest, stared at me for a minute then gently put his paw on my bottom lip as if to say "Open up, I want to have a look." I opened my mouth just a little and he leaned over and inspected it. When he was satisfied, he sat up and squeezed his eyes closed a bit. I think he probably believes he could have done a better job...or maybe that look was simply "Boy are you high maintenance!"

He is so sweet and concerned, and I felt very loved and taken care of in the best way he knows how.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

What a gorgeous and clever cat. Animals know - they really do.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map