Thursday, February 17, 2011

Posts & Comments

I learn stuff all the time.  Things people say make me think about stuff I never thought about before.  Yesterday someone commented about how I find all the time I spend making posts.  After that a thought occurred to me...do people pre-plan their posts?  I don't.  I just sit down and start typing.  In fact some days I have a topic in mind and when I sit down at the keyboard I start typing something else entirely.  When that happens I just go with it.  The topic I had in mind shows up at a later date, or never.  *Shrugs*  I don't put that much thought into it.  Even my really long posts are done in about 10-15 minutes.  Sometimes I have to go back and re-word something after I read it because I realize it didn't make grammatical sense.  I don't read it until after I post it.  I probably should read it before hand.  This is also the reason that sometimes my posts ramble a little.

Someone else said they hoped they didn't bug me with so many comments.  I love getting comments.  Even when people don't agree with me.  I don't expect people to agree with the way I view everything. 

I read a lot of blogs too.  I am kinda bad about leaving comments though.  But it's not for the reason you might think.  I don't always leave a comment because I hate typing in those captchas.  To me they are on the same level as punching in automated menu numbers on the phone.  It's a step I would rather not bother with.  That's why I don't make you guys type them in.  I have only gotten a handful of advertising type comments over the years and they aren't that much of an effort on my part to just delete them.  A while back I did have to set it so that people couldn't make anonymous comments.  I had a couple snarky comments from people who didn't want to own up to them.  It doesn't bother me if someone leaves a snarky comment but have the decency to take ownership for your words and kindly refrain from swearing.

My posts also show up on The Hive among other places.  It used to be that we got an e-mail alert every time someone left a comment on a post we made.  Then one day they just stopped coming.  I suppose someone changed the default settings and I never bothered to go change them back. 

I read every comment left directly on my blog, but I am afraid once those alerts stopped coming I stopped checking on The Hive.  It was one of those out of sight out of mind deals.  I went this morning and read quite a few of them all the way back to December.  I felt really bad.  Some of you take time to leave me comments all the time.  Most of the time you are very kind, flattering and one of you is even hilarious.  So I want you to know that I really do appreciate that you read what I write and take time to comment.  I am going to try to be better about checking that. 

I have been trying to be better about leaving comments on what I read too.  In fact I left a comment yesterday for someone whose blog I have been reading for about a year now.  I had never left a comment before.  It just goes to show, you never know how many people really do read what we write.

I don't know what kind of impact or importance it has in the greater scheme of things when we post to our blogs.  But I know for me...I like reading about people's lives I find interesting.  Even if it's just little mundane things from their day.  It's interesting getting to peek into the lives of ordinary people.  Especially when those people create things we admire.  The only criteria I have is that you are sincere.  If you have a whole month of bad days and talk about it, that's ok.  I would rather read the truth of you than a fictionalized version of your supposed perfect life.  Life isn't perfect, it's gloriously messy and it's nice some days to know we aren't alone in all the junk that happens to us.  It's a good thing to find out we aren't alone in how we are feeling about something, especially when we think we should be feeling a different way.

There are a few people who I wish lived closer to me and I could really get to know them over a cup of coffee.  Of course when I do my posts, I am almost always doing it over coffee...and I approach it like I was having a conversation with someone directly.  That's why I don't pre-plan my posts.

Today I was going to tell you about playing postal hooky and the fuzzy logic of a bad hair day, but as you can see that isn't what came out when I started typing!

Have a great day!  I am off to work on a pattern for an order that I promised someone would only take a couple weeks.  That was 3 1/2 months ago!  Thank goodness they are patient!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map