Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night...


Anyone who knows me knows that I have an absolute fascination with weird things. Especially cryptozoology. But being fascinated by something and believing in it are two entirely different things. In fact I tend to be pretty skeptical about most things.

I really enjoy Ghost Hunters. I am not certain I agree with their opinion on everything they find, but some of the things are pretty intriguing. The thing is, I don't really believe in ghosts per se. I think something is happening that we aren't clued into, because too many people have had sightings since the dawn of recorded time. But exactly what they are seeing, I am not sure. I just don't think it would be the souls of departed loved ones. I find it hard to believe that we would be reduced to spending the afterlife creating cold spots in the room, moving small objects and whispering things that most people can't make out.

According to people who see them, ghosts can do some pretty amazing things. What they can't do apparently is write notes, speak plainly or let anyone know anything definitive.

The TAPS team and their ilk have come up with some pretty interesting conclusions however. One is that ghosts seem to be prevalent in buildings built on or near huge limestone deposits. Now if you stop to consider that limestone is really porous and traps carbon monoxide emissions that makes a little bit of sense.

The other thing that seems to hold true is that places with lots of exposed wiring, pipes or things of that nature can create what they call a "fear cage" due to high EMF readings.

Something occurred to me when I learned that. If ghosts tend to show up in high electromagnetic fields, then the old cliche for every ghost story about it being a "dark and stormy night" starts to make sense. At least the stormy part...lightning creates static electricity...well you get the idea. But what I don't understand is the night part? Why do they nearly always show up at night?

Do they show up during the day and we aren't as tuned in? Or is there a scientific reason why they would show up at night? I find that puzzling.

Nine years ago when we bought this house I had my own experience. We had a dog that liked to stay up with me for an hour or so and then go into the bedroom and sleep with my husband. So I was going to let Sheba into the bedroom, and when I opened the door a small whitish puff of smoke (for lack of better) about the size of a breadbox rushed out at me at a little above head height. It startled me so much I jerked back. I would probably question whether I had actually seen it or not if it weren't for the fact that the dog kept jumping up trying to catch it as it traveled to the far end of my living room and vanished. If anyone has any rational insight as to what this might have been, I would be very interested in hearing it. I had R check the room over with a fine tooth comb trying to find a logical explanation for it and something that would have created it. There just wasn't one.

Thankfully I haven't seen it since. The other thing that happened, was one afternoon I was making the bed and I heard a man's voice say my husbands name very plainly right next to me. I was at home alone, and the windows were all closed. The interesting thing about that was they said his nickname which I never use.

While neither of these instances were enough to make me believe in ghosts in the conventional sense, I have never stopped wondering what they were? I suppose it's no surprise that ghost sightings become more common since we keep adding electronic gadgetry to our every day lives and increasing our electromagnetic output. Maybe some day we will have the answer?

1 comment:

Victoria Sayer said...

Oh my goodness. I can't believe that you still have no other comments here, after that intriguing article.
My brother in-law also had a strange encounter while staying in an old pub in a country town. It was winter, and all the windows were shut tight. There were no drafts of wind or the like, when he heard what sounded like someone breathing, quite loudly. As he opened his eyes, he saw that the heavy drapes were moving slightly. On further inspection, nothing was to be found as to what might have created these peculiar occurences.
All a bit puzzling.
I believe that they are most likely spirits, but like you, I do not think that they are our dear departed souls, hanging about.
I believe the Bible, and it mentions the spirit world as a true, real thing. There are God's messengers...angels, and there are demons who diquise themselves as angels.
"even Satan disquises himself as an angel of light" (2Corinthians 11:12-15)
I often marvel at the audiences of those TV shows, where a 'medium' is telling them things about themsleves that they already know, trying to get them to believe all what he is saying must be true. I'm sure the spirit world has access to our lives to see all. And I believe it is all about creating the illusion that there is nothing scary or dark in the hereafter...thereby excluding the need for us to seek a saviour while we are alive on earth.
Thanks for your article. I really enjoyed reading it.

By the way, I am having my very first 'giveaway', please do drop by to check it out, for a chance to be in the draw.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map