Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Overwhelmed By Food

In the lives of everyday people we all have certain accomplishments. They might be personal or on a professional level. As a teddy bear artist, I have had those things like everyone else. While I haven't found a cure of cancer or walked on the moon, I was proud of my little accomplishments and when I shared them with family and friends they were proud of me too.

In the past few months I have started cooking fancy things. Well...fancy to us because they involve more than one pan or the microwave. We were in a rut, and since I was forced to take over the cooking I decided to find new and interesting things to eat.

Naturally through the course of conversation I have mentioned what I was making to my Mom and a few of my friends. The amazing thing is that they are giving me accolades over this as if I had just scaled Mount Everest.

It's kind of puzzling to be honest. Maybe for most women learning to cook is some sort of rite of passage, but for me it's always been something that I am just not interested in doing. The other accomplishments I have had meant much more to me than this.

With this new need to get out of the rut I have been scouring through magazines for new recipes. I was doing just that a couple days ago when I felt suddenly overwhelmed. The magazine I was perusing talked about a new kind of fat listed on food labels. Apparently it wasn't enough that we have trans fat, saturated fat, and a whole host of other things...now we have another one. It was inter...something. I forget.

In another article it talked about the health benefits of certain foods. Red grapes slow down wrinkles, asparagus is good for the liver, and the list went on and on. This thing that was once thought really healthy isn't now, and that thing that wasn't healthy is now. At least until they change their minds again.

I was suddenly overwhelmed by it all. I finally closed the magazine and tossed it on the coffee table. How can anyone be expected to keep track of it all?

They say stress makes us fat because of the cortisol. But keeping track of the healthy foods and what to eat and not to eat, not to mention how to cook it all causes stress in me. I feel like I am doomed no matter what I do!

3 comments:

bensonbear said...

Oh Kelly, it's best to ignore the "fads" and just cook what tastes good, as they say, a little bit of what you fancy does you no harm :)I love cooking and I'm a self confessed cookbookaholic and I'm over the moon that the latest "fad" tells me chocolate is a health food YAY!!!!! Not to mention red wine ;)

Heather said...

I've given up on their whole "This is healthy, this isn't" speech... because it DOES change every other day based on who is giving the report.

I *LOVE* coffee... and there are millions of articles out there telling you how awful it is, but honestly, I don't care, because for every one I can find that tells me how evil it is, I can find another article singing its praises!!

Who CAN keep track of that! You're so right!... so I just eat what I like in moderation... and try to stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup... they have these new commercials now that say "Omg, do you even know why it's bad? It's fiiiiine".... but that is insane... the correlation of America getting fat and the introduction of that stuff into everything we eat is frightening... not to mention it's highly processed... and I'm starting to at least believe all the people who say you should probably stick to foods where the ingredients aren't mysterious words we've never heard of before!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly, I don't much care for cooking either...my mom always makes fun of how clean and
"un-used" my stove and crockpot and juicer etc look, every time she visits...:-/ ((ugh))
I do cook but I have to be in the mood to do it....I like take out much better!!! Have a nice Easter weekend! hugs, Jennifer

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map