Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Artistic Madness

I just sat down with a nice cup of tea before I go to bed. I think I am feeling a little frustrated this morning. If you follow my blog, then you know over the past year I have been struggling with trying to make something "simple."

Last night I got an inspiration and set aside the second goose I was working on to draw up a pattern. I used to have a bear artist friend who could whip up ten patterns a week. It was amazing, and I envied her ability. Being a perfectionist, pattern drafting takes me a while. When I drew my monkey pattern, it took me a month of working on it every day to get it just the way I wanted it. If you looked at the prototypes, you probably wouldn't have noticed the minuscule changes I made as I went along, but I saw them and that's what mattered. I only made three of them, because the pattern was so complicated that I haven't had the urge to make another one. Maybe some day.

So I finished this pattern and was pretty satisfied with the results. I went back to working on the goose, with the intention of trying the new pattern as soon as I was done with this piece. I left the pattern laying on my work table. I would periodically glance at it and my brain started working. That's where things generally tend to go wrong. I could just do this to make it better, and maybe change that. I thought about a pattern design I have had in the back of my head for a while and thought maybe I should do that instead. (The pattern in my head is by no means simple.)

Finally I picked up the pattern I had drawn and pitched it in the trash. I have no idea what the finished piece would have actually looked like. But I had talked myself out of it. I think I have finally realized that I can't do simple. I just can't. My brain won't allow it.

I see these absolutely adorable, sweet and simple little things people make and I think to myself...I wish I had made something like that. I like simple things, they have a certain innocence about them. R says I am my own worst critic, but sometimes I think I am also my own worst obstacle.

It's very hard to realign your thinking, when you're used to making complicated things. Oh well...I guess someone has to do it right?

1 comment:

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

Kelly, there is nothing wrong with your creative quest for perfection! It demonstrates your integrity, work ethic, and product quality.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map