Monday, September 28, 2009

Monday: No Love Today

I know that I said I would start the week off on a positive note with love or inspiration every Monday. But I am not feeling the love and am a bit cranky today. I keep getting this cold back every time I start to get over it. It seems as if everyone is sick out there, and so many people don't cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. It makes me wonder if people have never seen the news. If I have to go out when I am sick, I stay far away from people, cover my mouth, carry tissues and wash my hands with soap as soon as I can after coughing or sneezing. R accuses me of being a germophobe, but I am really not. It's just when you have allergies and asthma it makes you so much more susceptible to every germ that comes along so I take extra precautions and makes me more aware of the things others do who are sick. In turn I like to try to avoid making anyone else sick.

R is out of town tonight, so along with that and being sick I decided to make the Wendy's drive through run so I didn't have to cook. I thought about getting Chinese, but I haven't been able to taste anything for 6 days, and it seems like a waste to get something I enjoy when I just can't taste it at all.

So I hopped in the car and set out to fight the battle I knew was coming. To get out of my neighborhood, I have two options. Both of them result in going out onto the same cross street at different points. Between the two points sits a public middle school with a private middle school right next to it. One gets out at 3:15 and the other at 3:30 so for about an hour in there the street is wall to wall cars both parked and driving with people picking their kids up. Even if I am not going past the school, I still have to deal with the mass of cars on the street.

These people have absolutely no respect for the people who live in this neighborhood. No one will pause and let you turn out. On several occasions I have had parents make obscene gestures because they pulled out in front of ME without looking and nearly hit MY car, I have had to sit and wait for as long as 20 minutes to get out before, and I have seen so many people pick up one child and drive no more than a block or two in 70 degree weather and pull into a garage.

Believe me, I can tell you why America has issues with gas. I can't even imagine how much they go through for those hundreds of cars every day, and that is for just ONE school. Can you imagine what the tally is for every parent driving a car to pick their kids up from school in this country every day? It has to astronomical, and in my opinion irresponsible to the environment.

What I don't understand is why parents don't let their kids ride the bus? I always rode the bus or walked and I was fine. But my parents taught me to be smart about crossing streets and talking to strangers. I also don't understand why the school doesn't explain to these people to have a little respect for the people who live in this neighborhood. Afterall, our tax dollars are going toward the school as well.

On top of everything else, I stabbed myself in the arm with a paint brush. I have a bad habit of leaving them in my toothbrush holder and I had a long one in there sticking up. The brush on it is quite stiff and I poked a hole right in my arm.

So yes I am a little cranky today. I had to get it off my chest, but never fear...I will have something nice for you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

One of those days? We were only commenting yesterday how selfish people are in traffic, not letting you out at junctions. We live too far from my daughter's high school for her to walk and typical UK, no decent bus service, well not to school anyway. With the junior schools they do encourage people to walk and have 'walk to school days' where its more organised. We used to walk in my day, but then the school was'nt more than a couple of miles away, did us no harm!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map