Thursday, September 24, 2009

Divorced Over Dinner

I am absolutely convinced that the most commonly asked question for people who co-habitate is "What do you want for dinner?" I am equally convinced that when you are married, no matter what a peach your spouse is and how much you love them...there are just going to be days when you want to throttle them.

If you have been reading my posts lately, then you know that I have really stepped it up on the cooking this week. I made the Beef Wellington, I made this awesome wide Swedish pasta with hot spicy sauce and hot Italian sausage. I made marinated lemon chicken with tabouli stuffed tomatoes. I made brisket with black beans and strawberries and even baked biscuits to go with it. Not bad for a girl who hates cooking and prefers microwave or take out.

Yesterday I was already exhausted and sick and I told R he had to pick out dinner today. This afternoon I was halfway through my many errands, and at the grocery store. I was already so tired, having trouble breathing and my feet hurt. I still had to make two more stops. I called R and asked him what he wanted for dinner. The man had the temerity to say...."I dunno what do you want? Just pick something, walk around and see what looks good." I think he realized just how grievous an error that was when he was met with very long silence on the phone. I am sure he had no idea what I was doing...in truth my Irish temper that I usually keep in check, was suddenly unleashed with a vengeance. I was standing in the deli mentally saying words that would make a sailor blush and using every ounce of willpower I had to not scream into the phone "if you don't pick something I am going to divorce you!!!"

I am almost certain there isn't a judge in the world that would deny me the divorce either. "Um yes your honor, the grounds are he refused to tell me what he wanted for dinner." GRANTED!

Ok I am kidding, I wouldn't divorce him...but I swear I get terribly sick of the dinner battle. I get even more sick of the pat response "I don't know, what do you want?" I think this is the standard answer for 98% of husbands in the world for any question their wife asks them concerning food, outings and furniture purchases. I think they actually believe that somehow makes our lives easier. Well husbands...if you're reading this...it doesn't...just pick something for once, before we beat you senseless!

4 comments:

BululuStudio said...

Yep, sad but true...men are like that, never have a great answer when we need it. hehehe

customteddys said...

This is so funny, I'm ready to scream myself. How about this one? "What do you want for dinner, honey?" Answer, "Whatever you fix".....grrrrrrr

Heather said...

I think the overwhelming possibility of "anything they want to eat" might make their brains shut down...

Jessica Cauthon said...

This worked for me, might want to try it. I made up dishes for "I don't know, I don't care, and whatever you want" that were absolutely disgusting. The dog turned her nose up at them. After husband got them served to him a few times, he at least gives me an idea of what he wants. :oP

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map