Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Plowing The Furrows Of Time

I have a little furrow right between my eyebrows. When I see it, it represents plowing the field with concern over loved ones, squinting from sun sensitivity, concentration on what I am making and years of deep thoughts and theories.

I am going to be 46 years old next month and everyone tells me I don't look that old. I don't know, I am not sure what that old is supposed to look like anymore. I don't feel that old...I don't think. I suppose I could get Botox to erase that little furrow and the other lines and wrinkles I am slowly developing, but I am not sure why I would. Now that's not to say I don't have a problem with aging. I think every woman feels her mortality when she looks in the mirror and sees those little lines. I realize I am not 22 anymore and I never will be again. Of course there are days when I would love to have that face and body back. That's human nature and we live in a society that is geared towards youth and beauty.

But here is the thing...now think really hard. What does the forehead of each person you know look like? Do you know? I don't. I have no idea what kind of lines the people I know have in their foreheads. I don't look at them that way. In fact I can only think what one person's forehead looks like. That forehead belongs to Candace Bergen. I think she is a beautiful woman. She always has been and still is. But I saw her in the last episode of "Boston Legal" and I thought how incongruous her face looked. Her forehead was smooth...unnaturally so, and the rest of her face reflected a woman who has lived her life. It didn't make her look any younger. I don't think a few lines would have made her look any older or detracted from her beauty either.

Botox scares me anyway. I have a feeling in 20 years a lot of people are going to be walking around with foreheads full of cancer. Botox is not a healthy thing for the human body to process. I recently read that people are injecting it into their armpits now so they don't sweat. I thought perspiring was a needed body function?

I don't know what the obsession with trying to have a smooth forehead is. While I am willing to use creams and stay out of the sun for the most part, I am not willing to inject, cut, slice or dice on my face. I am going to age and wrinkle and I may not like it, but it's ok. I intend to wear my barnacles of age with pride, because I don't see a need to change it. I earned those lines, and I am going to let nature take it's course and give me the character I have earned from years of living my life.

1 comment:

Kathy-Catnip Studio said...

I'm of two minds on this topic. One mind agrees with you, totally. The other mind thinks, "if only I had the moolah for a few tucks here and there." Sigh...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map