Friday, January 16, 2009

Starting And Stopping

I have a little follow up to yesterday's post. I managed to actually sleep for six consecutive hours last night with a little help from Tylenol PM. I hate to medicate to sleep, but my shoulder was in a lot of pain so I did it. I have a doctor's appointment today to find out what's going on with it. Wish me luck because the last time it was a bone spur and it took me six months to recover from the surgery. Now part of that was because I had a psycho doctor that let me go on in agony for over a year so by the time I got to surgery it was really...REALLY bad. That's why I quit making bears for a year and a half. She even told me at one point I had a brain tumor and made me leave her office in an ambulance for a cat scan. I didn't of course but she was always too busy to truly listen to what I was telling her. I was really specific about the pain and how it felt, but she just didn't care. I don't want to go through that again if I can avoid it. Luckily I have a different doctor who listens to what I tell him and takes action right away. I have been dealing with this now for a couple months but it's my own fault because I just kept hoping it would go away.

I wasn't feeling too bad this morning so I decided to pop in the DVD and start my ballet lessons. The first obstacle I had to overcome was my hair. I know that might sound silly but I have an insane amount of hair. It's to my waist and I have tons of it. Two chopsticks, two bird clips, a barrette, and a chair and whip later I had it tamed.

So I pushed play ready to go. I learned a couple things about myself this morning. I actually have pretty good balance which surprised me. I am also really stiff, which did not surprise me. I suppose part of that is the result of this shoulder thing. I haven't been working out because of it. I only managed to go for about 20 minutes before the pain got to be too much and I had to quit. I was disappointed but also hopeful. I think I can actually do this. Like I said I just have to get my shoulder issue under control first. In the long run this may end up helping by strengthening it. Last time after surgery and I had a green light I joined a gym and started swimming. Swimming saved me because it's low impact and it really brought my shoulder back to working order after all those months of recovering. I did the back stroke most of the time. In retrospect I wish I had known why accupuncture works, I would have done it while we were trying to get pregnant too. Of course thats ship has sailed with my hysterectomy. (I know too much information huh!) A lot of people told me to try it but I am not keen on needles and I couldn't figure out why it would work.

Being ever curious about all things under the sun, one day I decided to google accupuncture. I wish I had done it years ago. We have all heard about it, but how many people really know WHY it works? In case you don't, I will tell you now. Accupuncture does exactly one thing, it stimulates your nerve endings and brings increased blood flow to the area. Your shoulder and your pelvis are the two areas that heal the slowest because you have the least amount of blood flow to them. If you ever have to have surgery on either thing, or break a bone there go check into accupuncture.

If it turns out I have to surgery again, I am certainly going to do it. It will shorten the recovery time. I have had surgery on my shoulder, my hand and the above mentioned hysterectomy. I have also had an exploratory years ago to find out why I couldn't get pregnant, my tubes tied to prevent ectopic when we tried in-vitro and I had my tonsils out as a child. I also had 17 stitches in my head when I was a kid because I split it open. I REALLY don't want to have another one. I hate surgery, doctors and hospitals. I think I have filled my quota. I am not a good patient because I am impatient and don't like people waiting on me in that respect. So I would be delighted if this is not another bone spur and something that can be solved with a shot of cortisone. I will keep you posted...but for now I am going to go hop in the shower. The ballet will continue, I will succeed at this!

2 comments:

Bev said...

hope all goes well at the doctor! I have but a small idea of how painful a shoulder injury can be, and you have my sympathy!!

maria i lavis said...

Good luck with the ballet and the pain. Now I want to take ballet lessons too! I also have a cranky shoulder and it's no fun when I sleep on it wrong and I can't move it b/c of the pain in the morning. I hope you find some permanent relief.

I've tagged you to also share 6 more random things about you! Hee hee.

http://blog.marialavis.com/2009/01/six-random-things-about-me.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Current copyright laws allow for all work to be automatically protected when it is created. All original artwork, photos, text, logo, descriptions, and derivative works from Blondheart are not to be copied, imitated or distributed in any way. All rights reserved solely by the artist, Kelly Dauterman.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map